We always host at least two tournaments per year. The larger of these is an open-rated tournament and usually has 40 to 60 people in attendance. The other is an annual team championship against the Pittsburgh Scrabble Club, NASPA Club #352.
Like many other clubs across the country, we are moving toward having several smaller events throughout the year. These will always be in addition to the aforementioned.
Tournaments within the last year
- April 28, 2012: A one-day, restricted entry matchup against Kentucky (results available here).
- July 21, 2012: WVA vs. WPA 4, a one-day, restricted entry matchup against Western Pennsylvania.
- September 28-30, 2012: The 7th Annual WV Scrabble Tournament.
- November 17, 2012: Our first fully-rated one-day event open to all NASPA members.
- February 2, 2013: In cooperation with Lexington, KY club 637, a one-day event at Carter Caves, KY (results available here).
- March 30, 2013: A fully-rated one-day event open to all NASPA members.
- June 29, 2013: A fully-rated one-day event open to all NASPA members.
More upcoming events will be added here as we flesh out their details.
If you've never played in a Scrabble tournament before, this section is for you.
- Can anyone play in a Scrabble tournament?
- All players must be members of NASPA to participate. You can join NASPA online immediately before the event.
- Do I need to be a member of a Scrabble club to play?
- No, but you are strongly encouraged to visit a sanctioned Scrabble club near you to get an idea of what tournament play is all about.
- You have a tournament listed over a two-day period. Can I just come on one of those days and pay half price?
- If a tournament has thirteen games listed, you are expected to play in all thirteen unless an emergency situation arises. Letting players come and go at their leisure would be unfair to the other players and disruptive to the event.
- Do Scrabble tournaments have rules?
- Yes they do, and NASPA provides an updated copy of the Official Tournament Rules on its website.
- I don't want to play, but I'm curious. Can I come watch?
- Our events are open to spectators. We do, however, request that you do not cheer, suggest plays, or otherwise disturb games in progress. If you are watching a game and one of its players asks you to move along, please do.
- Will you have a Scrabble tournament as part of our fundraiser (or other event)?
- Tournaments are sanctioned by our national organization, can be pretty intense, and incur cost to the participants. Probably what you're interested in is a contest, not a tournament. We are quite willing to help with that. Contact us.
- If we offer you free meeting space, will you have your event at our facility?
- Contact us please!